Saturday, February 5, 2011

Sweet Potato Chicken Curry


I got this recipe from Audrey Carlson at the women's health blog I participate in, called Healthy Wife Happy Life. Her recipe is called Crock Pot Chicken Curry -

CROCK POT CHICKEN CURRY
4 boneless chicken breast
1 small onion, chopped
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2/3 c. orange juice
1 minced garlic clove (I used 2)
1 tsp. chicken bullion granules
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 tsp. curry powder


4 TBLS cornstarch
2 TBLS cold water

Place chicken in slow cooker and cover with onions and sweet potatoes. Combine OJ, garlic, chicken bullion, salt, pepper, and curry powder. Pour over veggies. Cover and cook on low 5-6 hours.

Remove chicken and veggies and keep warm. Turn cooker to high and add corn starch dissolved in cold water. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Serve chicken and veggies over brown rice and pour "gravy" over the top.

Toppings
sliced green onions
shredded coconut
chopped peanuts
white raisins

NOTE: if you don't have a lot of juice left in the bottom cut the corn starch mixture in half.


Changes I made
Frankly, when I cooked it I was in a hurry because I didn't get my act together in time to get it in the crock pot. So, I stir-fried the chicken, nuked the cubes of sweet potatoes, sauteed the onions, then added the rest of the ingredients to a jumbo skillet. So delicious!! Here are the portions I used when cooking it and inputing the recipe into MFD's Recipe Builder:
16 oz. cooked chicken breast (about 2-1/2 to 3 breasts)
about 2-1/2 large sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed, probably 4 to 5 cups
1 large onion, chopped (about 1/2" pieces)
1 cup orange juice
3 tsp. minced garlic (the kind in the jar)
1 tsp. chicken base (a thick paste you buy in a jar)
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
5 tsp. curry powder (increase this to 9 tsp. or 3 Tbsp. to make it really spicy)

This yielded 10 cups, 5 pounds for 1 cup/8oz. serving

Calories - 142, Fat - 0.8g, Carbs 19.2g, Protein 14.g per 1 cup serving. Awesome!! I ate mine served over rice

No comments:

Post a Comment